I’m not good with saying goodbye. Quite frankly, I hate change. So saying goodbye to someone you have come to love and think of as your own daughter is no easy task for me. But here we are in our final week of hosting our dear au pair from Germany and its time to prepare myself and the kids for the eventuality of her departure. Fortunately, for us she will leave for a few weeks to travel and then will come back for a few more days before she returns home for good.
So here are a few things we like to do to ease into this eventuality (in no particular order):
1) Pick a date for our family “farewell” dinner.
2) Write farewell cards with the kids to tuck into her luggage.
3) Talk about how we can stay in touch in the year ahead.
4) Make sure she knows she is always welcome to come back and visit.
5) Share skype addresses with our new au pair and schedule a skype date for all of them to talk.
6) Put together a photo collage of the year that we can look at together long after she has returned home.
7) Involve her in the welcome of our new au pair so that she feels good about the transition too!
Saying goodbye is never easy but doing these things helps all of us to talk about it and celebrate the transition. Franzi’s departure means she is moving on to the next chapter of her life and will begin university. We look forward to hearing all about it and sharing the latest family updates.